Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Some Garden Harvest

We've enjoyed some delicious fresh veggies from the garden this week. So far, I've harvested about 20 oz of tasty Cherry Red tomatoes from the one plant. I've been really impressed with this plant and its little 1-2oz fruits and have already started some seeds from the harvested tomatoes. I planted them about three days ago and think I see a little seedling poking its head up already.


I picked two average size acorn squash from one of my two acorn squash plants this week. The other plant has one squash greening up right now.



I cut them open and they smelled just like sunshine! The flesh was more of a butter color than other acorn squash I've purchase, but I'm not sure if that was due to the variety or picking them a bit early. To prepare them I scooped out the seedy middle, put a tablespoon of butter in each half, tucked them all cut side up in a glass baking dish with about an inch of water in the bottom, covered the dish tightly with foil, and baked them at 350F for about an hour.



They came out soft and yummy. I fluffed mine with a fork and ate it with a bit of salt. It was so so good! Each half provided a nice serving size for one person. Redding ate his with cinnamon and sugar. In spite of how delicious these were, I don't think I'll grow this variety of acorn squash again because the 1-2 squash each plant provided doesn't justify the space required to grow them. I may try the Table Ace acorn variety as it has good reviews and higher expected yields per plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!