Monday, March 24, 2014

Newborn Diaper Covers

So, let's start with the cuteness factor...
These are Newborn size PUL/Cotton Prefold Diaper Covers. Too much cuteness! I decided to give cloth diapering a try for my third son for many of the same reasons touted by cloth diaper mamas all over the internet. But the only reason I'll go into right now is because of how stinkin cute they are! I've enjoyed the blue and green polka dot target brand diapers for the last...5 yrs. But for the next 3yrs, I wanted to see the most adorable diaper covers I could possibly make. So I grabbed four of my favorite fat quarters from Deb Strain's "Meadow Friends" collection and whipped up this bit of adorableness.

I used the free pattern available from Rocket Bottoms, adjusted the back tabs of the diaper cover to be a half an inch larger and square, and consulted extensively with my talented Aunt who is the genius behind The Keeta Collection. She walked me through the process and gave me many tips she learned by beginning to make diaper covers for her daughter-in-law a year ago. I am so thankful for her help making the covers and my cousin's advice in how she cloth diapers. Their help was invaluable.

I used the white Babyville Boutique PUL fabric available at JoAnn's fabric for the waterproof inner layer. I am very impressed with just how waterproof it is! There is polyester elastic sewn into the seam allowances around the legs and back of the diaper cover. I used soft sew-in 3/4" Velcro loop across the front outer fabric and sewed the matching hook side into the back tabs from the PUL inner side. I think I pretty much used the elastic markings on the pattern and then put the velcro where I wanted it and ignored pretty much all other pattern markings. Once I got the hang of it, I was able to whip through the last two diaper covers in about 30min each. Not too shabby :)


I made these four diaper covers for about the cost of buying ONE name brand cover. I also have enough PUL and fabric to make at least 6 more covers by my estimation. So, that is a HUGE savings as far as making my own cover vs. buying covers. 


 And again, can you believe the cuteness!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!