Sunday, September 18, 2011

Project updates and Book Shelf Organization


Been Busy today taking my kiddo to the park to play in the fountain, hitting up the library, visiting family, cleaning, and 2nd best of all! Working on the LTTSA backpack! Have I ever mentioned that I hate cutting out patterns and pieces? It's my least favorite part of the sewing experience. Fabric shopping might be my favorite, sewing second--if given a choice, I'd even rip apart a messed up seam and re-sew it before cutting out pieces. Anyways.... It's allllll done! The pieces are cut (except the interfacing b/c I don't know how much I want to use yet) and waiting for attention! I made a couple changes to the pattern and added/subtracted some things to the pattern. Like pockets on each side and making the front one complete piece without a seam and without pockets. I'm also using quilting cotton and flannel instead of a sturdier fabric. Hence the indecision about interfacing. So tomorrow, hopefully, me and the machine have a date :)

Next: Some long awaited pics of my new sewing room. But only the bookshelves.


Look at the organization! It's delish. My books are all in the middle with fabric and sewing boxes and random craftiness on the sides. I still have to clean off the tops of the shelves and decorate, and the closet needs attention, but 80% done is goooood.


Here are my Rainbow organized books! I stole this idea from my sister's roommate who has awesome bookcase organizing techniques as well as kick butt spinach artichoke dip. No lie.
I thought about organizing by author or genre, but it's a really mixed bunch and in this small of a room, it would just look like chaos, so color was the choice! And I'm a fan.


These shelves of fabric goodness are displayed on rectangle cut pieces of cardboard boxes. It is easy to see all my fabrics and somehow I can fit much more into the tiny space. Not that I'm sure you can call four rows of bookshelves, a scrap box, a remnant box (top left shelf), a 55gal bucket with faux fur, and another box of felt a "tiny" space, but you get the idea.

Do you like my vintage tea cup? I use it to hold all my straight pins. It's easy to get into, and not too easy to knock over. I love it. The red toile pattern is so pretty.





Now it's time for a good book, a cup of hot tea, and to throw my sour dough loaf into the oven. It should have risen by now. Then bed, bed, bed.


 Goodnight, my someone, goodnight :)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that backpack does have a truckload of patten pieces. And I interfaced everything, so I had even more fabric to cut. But it's turning out so cute, it's worth it. Just waiting on those dumb adjustors.

    And I'm so jealous of your beautiful shelves! Want to come organize my sewing room?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!